Yurt Shrinkage 100% Successful

Me standing in the smaller yurt.

I’m standing right in the middle directly under the ring.

I spent most of today executing on my previous plans to shrink the yurt. It was *hard* to cut my baby! Despite all my careful planning, things can always go wrong, and I’ll be stuffing this into my Metro and hauling it to Portland in exactly a week, so the stakes were high!

I started by cutting the wall segments 2 feet down from their top with a Dremel while it was standing up, but with no roof attached, taking the roll from 8′ to 6′.

Cutting on My Baby! Ouch!

Shortening

I then measured the actual space in the car, and it turned out to be 6′ 6″. I knew that extra 6″ would really help increase headroom, so I decided to make the roof rafters that size instead of the originally planned 6′. I made one rafter that size, then used it as a template to make more. I doubled them up to work faster. I used a scroll saw to make most of the cuts, and a 1/2 drill bit to make the top of the slots where the end of the rafter sits on the wall. I also made the slots closer to the end to add height.

Starting the slot with a round hole...

Untitled

After drilling the end to make it round, we cut out the sides with a scrollsaw.

I also cut the pointy end parts off where the rafters fit into the roof ring, because they don’t add much support and they often break on their own anyway because they’re so thin.

These ends don't help and often break. Cutting them gets me an inch.

When all of it went together, I was surprised at how roomy it was! I was expecting it to be 12 1/2′ across and about 85 inches high. This is compared to 15 1/2′ in diameter and 114″ tall originally. Instead, it was about 13′ across and 95 inches high! That’s a huge differences when felt from the inside! The goal of reducing the roll size from 8′ to 6′ 6″ was accomplished. Inside the yurt, I can get within 2′ of the walls without hitting my head. The walls generally have Ikea fabric shelves hanging on them, or the bed, or something else I use while lying or sitting down, so I’ve actually lost almost no headroom.

Instead of making the door shorter, requiring people to duck to get in, I think I’m going to do something more igloo-like and leaving it at this size. During the heavy rain at Gail’s, I realized how important it is that an awning stick out over the door a bit to keep the rain off of it. It’s not really possible to completely waterproof the door seal, so keeping rain off of it is the only way to keep it from getting in.

I still need to cut down all the vinyl pieces, and figure out how to integrate the door fully. We’ll see how far I get with that tomorrow.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Yurt Shrinkage 100% Successful

  1. Gail says:

    awesome work, sweetie! 🙂

  2. Scott Mauer says:

    Thanks, cutie! I’m sure you’ll get to see the smaller version eventually.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s