Racing the Rain

IMG_6197.jpg

After weeks of absolutely gorgeous weather, we’ve got rain coming in Friday night! The yurt on the platform is *very* waterproof, *if* it’s set up. Luckily, I finished the platform last night, so I was ready to bust out the Magical Mushroom Mansion this morning.

Here’s where I started:

IMG_6191.jpg

My proudest moment was when I pulled a way to hang the roof ring in under 20 minutes by myself directly out of my skinny white ass. The ring must hover in space for a few seconds until enough rafters are in to hold it there. None of the trees in the area are directly *over* the yurt, but there were a lot of trees *around* it. So I got a ring-height stick, and tied it upright with two ropes that went from tree to tree on the opposite sides of the yurt. This made an “X” at different heights, so it tended to stay upright (barely.) I used the umbrella clip I built into the ring to grab it from the sides, and screwed on a pieces of broken wall section to the top. The result was this precarious-looking setup here:

IMG_6196.jpg

It’s at times like these I have to admit I may be different from other people.

So the ring was floating, which was great. But the next nailbiter is that after the rafters are inserted into the ring, they have to be pushed onto the walls, which tend to push the ring to the other side. This rickety setup couldn’t handle much tilt, so I had to get creative. I inserted five rafters into the ring, but I *didn’t* push them onto the walls, I just laid them onto them instead. This provided *just* enough extra friction to buy me the time I needed to rush from one side of the yurt to the other after I pushed in one rafter to get its mate on the other side of the ring, balancing the forces. This worked on the first try, which amazed even me. After all five initial rafters were in, the ring floated off the stick!

IMG_6198.jpg

Once that was done, the rest was pretty much textbook yurt setup. I did have to re-drill new holes in the frame for the unusual circumference. The door doesn’t fit now that I shrunk the doorway, but it turns out at the shorter diameter (normally 13′, now only 12′), the extra length of the wall fit perfectly, making a waterproof flap that fit over the entire doorway.

Here it is with just the walls on. The dirty bottom part of the wall is usually tucked under the yurt. In this case, it comes down to almost *exactly* the bottom of the drip ring, a good seven inches below the floor height, which is perfect. Water sheets down the sides of the yurt and directly off the end of the platform onto the ground, making it nearly impossible for any to get inside unless there’s a fairly sizable leak.

IMG_6202.jpg

I didn’t get the roof fully tied down until after dark, but we can see our friend the Gay Umbrella (which now has a few holes) providing a nice dome over which is stretched a quartered tarp, the ends of which are tied to four of the RV jacks. At this point the yurt should be about 99% waterproof as long as winds don’t get *too* crazy in the next two days. The surrounding trees, even bare as they are, should help slow it down.

IMG_6205.jpg

Tomorrow I move in.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s