Fourteen is Better than Twelve

Progress on the storage bed! It will actually hold fourteen 45 quart tubs, not twelve! Click for more assembly pictures!

The yurt has *almost* gotten to a point where I can spend the whole day inside without having to move things around to make space and trip over things. This bed will take me over that hump by providing more storage and more floor space by keeping the mattress to a twin size when I don’t have a guest. That extra 15″ really makes a huge difference in this tiny yurt!

Here’s the concept drawing and the real deal. Watching a design make that transition is almost enough reward for putting up with Google SketchUp! You can see how 6 tubs stack in the back, and 8 in the front. The ones in the front will be easy to access through the main door, the ones in the back will require removing the front ones, so that will be seasonal and infrequently used stuff.

ConvertibleBedframe_2

Drystacking the new bedframe! Look Ma, no fasteners!

If this design works well, I’ll make a similar setup for the van after I’ve had a few months to field test it and work out the bugs.

Rather than actually clean up the van, I instead built a truss using 2x4s to evenly distribute the weight of my OSB sheets over whatever the hell is down there…
Drystacking the new bedframe! Look Ma, no fasteners!

I used the table saw to make the side cuts for these mortices, and the oscillating tool to cut out the bottoms. Much easier than a chisel or a jigsaw! I’ve been assembling a great Ryobi toolset over the past few years. Their quality has really improved and they’re now almost on par with Makita and Dewalt, and their 18V tools are also frequently found at thrift stores. The batteries are the most expensive part, but at Christmas are often two-for-one.

Drystacking the new bedframe! Look Ma, no fasteners!

Drystacking the new bedframe! Look Ma, no fasteners!

Today I’ll be cutting out the OSB sheets, doing a test assembly, and then putting the main box together in the yurt. Tonight I’ll sleep on it for the first time to see how steady it is. Right now my biggest concern is the stability of the front, since it’s the only part that won’t have 7/16th” OSB sheeting screwed onto it. I made the design as light as I thought I could get away with with the understanding that I would shore up the weak parts once it was installed. The three rectangular supports are held together with Simpson Strong Ties, which should really help with strength and stability. I made add more to the front later.

I haven’t worked out all the details of the conversion from twin to full size yet, but I have enough of the basics to proceed, and I want the storage ASAP.

Ready for cutting!

Ready for my first oriented strand board cut!//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s